Domestic Violence Attorneys
We at Jacobs Berger, LLC, provide strong and compassionate representation to men, women and children who are victims of domestic violence in New Jersey. This includes victims of same-sex partner violence, which is a significant and underreported problem.If you are being abused or harassed, or if you are living in fear of imminent harm, our lawyers can help you take swift legal action. We can also connect you to community services designed to provide support and empowerment to adults and children affected by domestic violence.
We also represent those individuals who may have been falsely accused of domestic violence or have actions pending against them which they feel are not based in truth. Unfortunately, The Domestic Violence Act is sometimes used as a sword rather than a shield, and we gladly represent clients to help maintain the purpose for which the law was intended.
Our domestic violence lawyers assist clients with:
- Temporary restraining orders (TROs) — A TRO provides immediate protection and typically lasts up to 10 days. To make the order permanent, you must attend a hearing before a Superior Court judge.
- Final restraining orders (FROs) — An FRO grants long-term protection for a victim of domestic violence. It can provide financial support, housing resolutions and custody/parenting time arrangements. New Jersey essentially considers FROs to be permanent in nature. However, “permanent” simply means that there is no timeframe attached and that the order applies indefinitely. It is possible to make a motion to modify or dissolve an FRO once the circumstances have changed so as to make an FRO no longer necessary.
What constitutes domestic violence?
Domestic violence is commonly thought of as physical assault. However, it can encompass many other kinds of categorical behavior. By way of one example, frequently sending crude text messages to someone over his or her objection can be considered harassment, which is a form of domestic violence. The domestic violence statute in New Jersey includes:
- Assault and battery
- Terroristic threats
- False imprisonment
- Sexual assault
Who can request a restraining order?
The attorneys at Jacobs Berger, LLC, can help you seek a restraining order if:
- You share a residence with the person committing the act of domestic violence
- You are in a dating relationship with the person committing the act of domestic violence
- You have a child in common with the person committing the act of domestic violence