All of us here at Jacobs Berger want to reassure our clients and business associates that their health and safety are our primary concern.

All of us here at Jacobs Berger want to reassure our clients and business associates that their health and safety are our primary concern and that we are also committed to the health and safety of our staff and our families. Though we are currently working remotely, we continue to operate as we always have, providing quality service and for us, it is “business as usual.”

We are offering telephonic and video calls, conferences, mediations, and strategic planning sessions to continue to service our clients and prospective clients, and are, of course, available for ongoing business partnerships via our virtual network!

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us via phone at 973-710-4366, by email, or, if necessary, carrier pigeon. (We are kidding about the last one, but you laughed, didn’t you?) Also, head to our social media pages for some tips on staying healthy, safe and sane during this time.

We are all in this together.

Divorce Decree

What Is a Divorce Decree?

Divorce Decree Morris County NJ Family Law Attorneys

Guiding Clients across Morristown, Randolph, Madison, East Hanover, Dover, Florham Park, Denville, and across greater Morris County

A divorce decree is a court’s judgment dissolving the bonds of marriage.  The decree includes the date you were divorced, the grounds for divorce, any change in name, as well as any ruling or agreement made and incorporated into the judgment. If there is no divorce decree (also known as a judgment), this essentially means you are not legally divorced.  However, if you do have a divorce decree, it will be referred to from time to time, as it will direct the future between you and your ex-spouse.

What can I expect to find in my divorce decree?

Divorces are filed because two people that are legally married no longer want to be married.  However, the married couple built a life together, and the life they created undoubtedly included accumulating property, maintaining employment, securing assets, perhaps having children, and acquiring debts.  If this applies to you, divorce will force you and the court to distribute these assets, apportion the debts, order child support and alimony, and divide any property. As such, a judgment of divorce and decree will address these issues by rendering an opinion or by incorporating a marital settlement agreement made with the consent of both parties.

What will the court put in the divorce decree if I have a trial or if we agree on the terms?

At a trial, the judge will listen to the arguments of the attorneys, hear from witnesses, and review all evidence.  At the end of the case, the judge will make findings as to the cause of the divorce and the relief sought. For example, if you file a claim seeking a divorce based on your spouse’s adultery and you request child support, marital property, and alimony, the judge will decide what to do.  Any decision the judge makes becomes part of the judgment/decree. However, if you and your spouse agree on terms, the judge will incorporate those terms into the judgment of divorce. As noted above, the marital settlement agreement includes issues concerning child support, custody, division of assets and debts, and any other marital issues. 

General Information included in the divorce decree/judgment

Aside from the agreement or the terms as outlined by the judge, the decree will include basic information.  The judgment of divorce will list the names of the parties, the proven cause of action, that the specific court has jurisdiction, and it will set forth that the marriage is dissolved. Additionally, the judgment will have a docket number listed, which will help identify your case in the event that there are any issues in the future. 

How does the divorce decree impact me in the future?

Contact an experienced Divorce Attorney in Morris CountyAny time you have any issue with regard to your judgment of divorce, your decree acts as a guide for what should have happened and what will happen.  In other words, your decree is the baseline or default from which you otherwise seek modifications. For example, if your decree directs you to sell the marital home and split the proceeds, then you would do as ordered or agreed to. If your spouse fails to cooperate in selling the home, you can file a motion to enforce the judgment.  Similarly, you can file motions to amend or modify the judgment if there has been a change in circumstances. This may apply to alimony, child custody, or child support. For instance, if a former spouse who was receiving alimony chooses to get remarried or move in with another person, the spouse making alimony payments may file a motion to terminate these payments going forward. In other cases, one parent wants to move to another state, thus requiring a review and possible change in the child custody arrangement. 

Contact an experienced Divorce Attorney in Morris County

If you need assistance in obtaining, enforcing, or modifying a judgment of divorce, contact our office for a consultation. Our attorneys can assist you with any questions surrounding your divorce decree. 

Modifying a divorce decree can eventually be a simple or difficult process, it depends on the level of agreement you and your former spouse agreed upon. One way or the other, it is advisable to have the modification properly and professionally drafted and presented to the court. Speak to a family law attorney at The Law Offices of Jacobs Berger, about your divorce modifications.

Experienced family law and divorce attorneys at Jacobs Berger can help you determine and establish the steps to follow in the divorce process. Contact our office to schedule a consultation to discuss filing for a divorce and all available causes of actions. Call (973) 718-7705 today or visit our website and fill out the contact information form.